Skip to content

Chunky Book Take Two

January 25, 2010

My adventure continues…embellishing the pages. I came up with several ideas, but they seemed too complicated. I purposely tried to stay away from Fantasy Film as a main media, (because I use it so much!) but my mind kept coming back to it. And then I received a bag of scraps from work and so it was meant to be. I wanted to do something quick and easy with wings so stamping was a natural thought. But it always takes so long to cut the image out and my hands are so sore after 30 of them! Then I thought about burning the edges off with a candle flame and now we’re off to the races.

I like to prepare my stamp by heating it first with an iron (cover it with parchment paper first), this helps grab onto the first layer of film. Then ink with black permanent ink and lay on one layer of Fantasy Film.

You can see all around the stamp my scraps of Fantasy Film from other stamping projects that I cover the image with.

Cover the scraps with parchment paper and iron for a few seconds. Since these scraps are on the thick side I iron for about 5-10 seconds. Just until my light starts to blink on my iron!

You can see the ink through the film.

Trim off excess film and separate the wings.

Hold edges up to flame and move around till done. Yes there are burn marks, and if it caught on fire I simply blew it out. Love it!

I held it right over the cut between the wings to get more definition. I also heated the wings to make them curl up. I even got some great holes in some of them. I don’t have a photo of it, but I did use a pair of pliers to hold the butterfly since the film is so thick it does get quite hot.

To give the body a fluffy effect I added Elements Earth Textures. Draw the body on with the Designer Dries Clear adhesive and dump some Elements on.

To make it really thick I gently added another line of glue and Elements.

This is pretty thick and not dry at all, so just slide the Elements off carefully.

Roughly this is it so far. I will be using more techniques from Michael deMeng’s class to attach them. I see wire, beads, E-6000 and possibly ribbon in my near future. Stay tuned. (If you didn’t see the making of the background see my last post.) Enjoy!

Advertisements
5 Comments leave one →
  1. January 27, 2010 8:26 pm

    These look great. I can’t wait to see them in person.

  2. Hudson permalink
    February 19, 2010 1:44 pm

    I just loved this, can’t wait to try out Fantasy Film.

  3. February 19, 2010 5:21 pm

    Amazing…gotta give this a try!

  4. Rene' permalink
    February 19, 2010 5:42 pm

    I’m in love.. Looks awesome.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: